Information you give us
When you visit the College’s websites, you may be asked to provide certain information about yourself. Information collected is owned by Goodenough College (including any subsidiary companies). We will not sell, share or rent this information to others in ways other than what is stated in this policy
Information that we receive automatically includes:
- Requested URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
- IP address (this may or may not identify an individual device)
- Referring URL
- Domain name from where you are accessing the Internet
- Browser and Operating System used to access the page
- Date and time that webpages were visited
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site. By using the College websites you are agreeing that we can place cookies on your device.
Cookies are used by our websites in order to allow them to provide the services you need and to assist us in providing a better website experience for all our users.
If you do not wish us to store any cookies on your device during your visit, you can disable them in your browser. Please note however that this may have a significant impact on your browsing experience.
Here is a guide to disabling cookies in major browsers. It is located on an external website.
Google Analytics Cookies
Google Analytics cookies collect non-personally-identifiable information relating to your use of our websites via Google Analytics technology. This information may include: what pages you see, how long you were using the sites, what you clicked on, if you visited the website again, etc. This data is collected for the purpose of monitoring and understanding the effectiveness of our websites. This data is used in aggregated form to help improve the site and the College’s marketing.
How we use your information
We may use and analyse the information we collect so that we can manage and improve the services on the websites. Demographic and statistical information about user behaviour may be collected and used to analyse the popularity and effectiveness of the websites. Any disclosure of this information will not contain personally identifiable details.
Goodenough College will not use the statistical analytics tools to track or to collect personally identifiable information from visitors to this website.
Data Protection Laws
Goodenough College is a Registered Data Controller as defined by theGeneral Data Protection Regulations 2018 (the “Act.”) The College has notified its activities to the Office of the Information Commissioner as required under the Act. Personal information will only be collected and/or processed by the College in accordance with the Act.
Access to information
The General Data Protection Regulations 2018 gives you the right to access information held about you. Please contact the College’s Data Protection Officer if you wish to do so.
Disclosure of your information
Except as set out in this policy or as required by law, your personal data will not be provided to any third party. The information you provide to us will be held on our computers within the UK and also cloud-based servers located outside of the UK.
Monitoring use of College systems
In order to protect the data security and integrity of the Goodenough College networks and computer systems, it may be necessary to monitor or log the use of these systems. If there are indications of abuse of systems or that individuals may be using systems in excess of their authority, files, messages and any or all uses of the systems may be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected and disclosed to authorised College and law enforcement personnel.
Links to external websites
All rights, including copyright ©, of the content of these web pages are owned or controlled by Goodenough College.
Logos, names and images identifying the College are proprietary marks of the College, reproduction of which is prohibited by law. The design of the website is owned by the College.
You are permitted to view, copy, and print documents within this website subject to your agreement that:
You will not modify the documents or graphics in any form or manner;
You will not copy or distribute graphics separately from their accompanying text and you will not quote materials out of their context;
Your use of the material is for your own personal information, and for non-commercial purposes only;
Any copies of the material made for a permitted purpose will include an acknowledgement that copyright belongs to Goodenough College;
You are not permitted to copy the design elements, look and feel, or layout of this website;
No part of the Goodenough website or any material appearing on the site, may be reproduced, stored in or transmitted on any other website or medium without the prior written permission of the College. Requests to republish any material may be sent to email@example.com
Although every effort is taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained within the pages of the Goodenough College website we cannot guarantee that the content of the website will always be current, accurate or complete.
Whilst Goodenough College shall use its reasonable endeavors to ensure that this site is normally available 24 hours a day, it will not be liable if for any reason the site is unavailable at any time or for any period. Access to this site may be suspended temporarily and without notice in circumstances of system failure, maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond the control of Goodenough College.
Goodenough College shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising in contract, tort or otherwise from the use of this site or from the inability to use this site, or from the use of any information contained in it, or from any action or decision taken as a result of using this site or any such information.
Goodenough College may provide links to Internet sites and information maintained by third parties. Neither the College nor its staff operate or control in any respect any information, products or services on such sites. Goodenough College is not responsible for the content of such websites, for opinions expressed or services offered on those.
Goodenough College reserves the right to remove, vary or amend any of the content of its website at any time and without prior notice.
Goodenough College is not responsible for the content or operation of external websites. References and links to any such sites shall not be taken as an endorsement by the College of opinions expressed or services provided at those sites.
Goodenough College reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time at its sole discretion.
When you supply any personal information to Goodenough College we have legal obligations towards you in the way we deal with the data. Generally any information you provide to Goodenough College will only be used by the College and its service providers. It will never be forwarded to any third party without obtaining your permission, unless we are obliged or permitted by law to disclose it. This applies to your name, email addresses, personal information and any email correspondence.
We will ensure that all personal information supplied is held securely, in accordance to the General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
Alumni and Supporters of Goodenough College Privacy Statement
Why data protection matters and what it covers
Here at Goodenough College we are committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold, whether you are a member, alum, fellow or donor. Goodenough is a global community bringing together its past and present members and supporters to further its aims and strengthen the lifelong community spirit all over the world.
We are proud of our alumni, who continue to be part of the Goodenough Community even when they leave the College. Their ongoing support in various ways and ‘good word’ of the College is invaluable, as we continue to receive applications based on their references year after year.
Developing a better understanding of our community members and supporters through their personal data allows us to maintain connections more efficiently.
The purpose of this notice is to give you a clear explanation about how Goodenough College and all of its subsidiaries comply with the data protection laws in the UK (General Data Protection Regulation), collects and uses the personal information you provide us and that we collect from any third parties.
What information we collect
The data held and processed by the Development and External Relations Office may include:
- Biographical information, including your name, title, gender, nationality and date of birth
- Contact details, including your address, email addresses and phone numbers
- Education history from, before and after your time at Goodenough
- Information about your time at the College (eg. clubs, societies, hobbies and scholarships)
- Employment details, including income, employment history, professional activities and other biographical details provided directly by you or available via public sources.
- Partner/spouse, family and other relationships
- Relationships with other alumni, supporters and friends
- Current interests, activities and affiliations
- Donation history and wealth assessment information
- Responses to fundraising appeals and proposals
- Gift Aid status, where applicable
- Appended information from publicly available sources and extracts from media stories (ie. your business details, online articles and interviews)
- The information you have publicly shared on social media, including services such as LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter
- Records of communications from, and interactions with, Goodenough
- Attendance of events and meetings with Goodenough staff, including details of access and dietary requirements
- Communication preferences
Please note that we do not collect or store:
- credit/debit card details
- ‘sensitive’ information, such as racial/ethnic origin, political beliefs, religious/similar beliefs, Trade Union membership; physical/mental health condition, sexual orientation/activities; commission or alleged commission of an offence and any proceedings such as a court sentence
How we collect information about you
- Information you give us personally. When you become a member of the College you provide us your personal details. When you leave the College and become alum, we will collect your personal information to keep in touch with you. Once you leave the College, you will have an option to opt out from our communications. Goodenough Alumni Online portal will be available to you, where you can update, correct and have full control of your personal information by logging in at any time. We update our records when you inform us of any changes or when you make a donation.
- Information from our friends and supporters. We also hold records on non-alumni, friends of Goodenough, organisations linked to Goodenough, donors and potential donors.
- Information from The Club. The Club is a 4 star hotel that is part of the College, which provides discount rates for Goodenough alumni. The Club provides information to us when alumni are staying there so we can reconnect with you and welcome you back to the square.
- Information from our service providers. We may also use our service providers, who work on our behalf, to conduct research in finding your contact details to ensure accuracy and efficiency in our annual fundraising activities, such as the Telethon Campaign. Please see below under Fundraising for more information.
Any personal data stored in our database is held on the College’s secure servers, with access restricted to authorised personnel only.
- As Goodenough College has a big international community, some donation transactions will be processed via secure international channels. At the moment there are tax efficient ways to donate for the tax payers in the US, Canada and Hong Kong. We would share details of donors with such organisations to effectively process the transactions. Please refer to our donations page for more information.
How we process your personal information
- We will communicate with you only in the ways that you choose whether by email, post or telephone. To ensure that our communications are relevant to you and your interests, we may segment our communications accordingly. Your data is used by us for a number of purposes, including:
- Sending you publications (Goodenough News) and e-newsletter (The Goods)
- Conducting surveys
- Providing services, such as Goodenough Alumni Online portal
- Sending you fundraising proposals and appeals for donations
- Contacting you via telephone for an Annual Telephone Campaign
- Inviting you to alumni events, such as Annual Alumni Reception
- Promotion of other opportunities and services available to you (ie. offers available through the alumni network groups)
- Wealth analysis and research in order to improve our understanding of our alumni and supporters.
- Internal record keeping and other administrative purposes.
You have the Right to Object and choose to Opt Out of your personal data being processed for the above purposes at any time. Please e-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org to state your preference.
- For the purpose of fundraising and to help us better understand your interests, preferences and the type and level of donation you may be interested in giving, we may use additional information, such as measures of affluence and interest in charitable causes, where available from external sources. This allows us to make appropriate requests to our supporters and prospective supporters.
To strengthen the community ties, many of our alumni choose to donate to the College. We run an annual Telethon Campaign, where current members of the College are employed to contact our alumni via telephone to share their experiences and ask whether they would be willing to donate. We send out letters to remind our alumni of upcoming campaigns in advance. Please refer to our donations page to see the full range of ways to donate.
We may run other fundraising campaigns throughout the year to raise money for the College and you will always have clear options to opt out.
We may publish your current name in our alumni magazine or the website and the fact that you are a donor to Goodenough College only if you consent to this. You are given the option to remain anonymous.
You have the Right to Object and choose to Opt Out of your personal data being processed for marketing and fundraising purposes at any time. Please e-mail us email@example.com to state your preference.
Who we might share your data with
We may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
- To other Goodenough subsidiaries, such at The Club and The Burn
- To our service providers. This would include our trusted partners that work with us in connection with our charitable purposes, such as organisations managing our telephone campaign. This may include: technical service providers, such as services to send e-mails, mail, services for processing donations, companies to screen addresses to keep them up to date and companies to conduct wealth screening. We do comprehensive checks on these companies before we work with them, and put a contract in place that sets out our expectations and requirements; especially regarding how they manage the personal information they have collected or have access to. You have the Right to Object and choose to Opt Out of your personal data being processed for any of the above purposes at any time. Please e-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org to state your preference.
- We are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our rights or to protect Goodenough College, for example in cases of suspected fraud or defamation.
- We facilitate communication between individual alumni, but in doing so we do not release personal contact details without prior permission.
We will never share, sell or swap your details with any other organisation for their own purposes.
Vulnerable supporter is someone who finds it difficult to immediately make an informed decision about the choices offered to them, for example, a fundraising ask made via telephone.
Goodenough College is understanding and compassionate towards its supporters and will never exploit vulnerability. We will do everything we can in order to assist our supporters to make an informed decision about the support they choose to give to the College.
The College does not accept donations where it has a reason to believe that the donor may be experiencing vulnerable circumstances and accepting the donation would be ethically wrong and/or harmful to the donor.
Goodenough College does not identify vulnerable adults based on disability or age or any other social indicator, it deals with each donor on a case-by-case scenario.
How long personal data is held by Goodenough College
Goodenough College considers its relationship with alumni and donors to be life-long. This means that we will maintain a record for you until such time. You may of course choose to no longer keep in touch and request to delete your data. In which case we will only maintain your basic personal data, such as your constituent ID, name and education details to ensure your data is not used for future processing, ie. Inadvertently creating a new record in the future. We may also need to retain some financial records about you for statutory purposes (ie. Gift Aid, anti-fraud and accounting matters).
Access to personal information
You have a right to request copies of the data about you at any time. Please e-mail us on email@example.com for more information.
We may communicate with you by phone, email or post. You have a choice about whether you want to receive news and information about the College, and by which method. We will not contact you if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted.
You can change your preferences at any time emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or via post at Development and External Relations, Mecklenburgh Square, London, WC1N 2AB, UK.
We may update the terms and conditions at any time, so please do check it from time to time. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary e-mail address you have provided us or by placing a prominent notice on our website. By continuing to use our website you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
The legal basis for processing your personal data for the interdependent purposes set out above is that it is necessary for the pursuit of our legitimate interest to pursue life-long relationships and communication with our alumni and supporters. However, there is no statutory or contractual requirement for you to provide us with any personal data.
We value your involvement, which allows us to progress and strengthen our community.
If you have any complaint or comment about the way we treat your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer on +44 (0)20 7520 1534.