Our Patron: Her Majesty the Queen
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll has been our Patron since 1953. During this time Her Majesty has visited the College no less than ten times, most recently in 2016, and takes an active interest in College affairs. We are deeply thankful for her continued support of the College.
Her Majesty The Queen’s first association with Goodenough College came in March 1950 when, as the 23-year-old Princess Elizabeth, she spoke at the launch of the Lord Mayor’s Thanksgiving Fund appeal which raised funds for the expansion of College.
It was as Queen Elizabeth II that she came to Mecklenburgh Square in November 1957 to declare William Goodenough House open and make her first visit to London House. Six years later the Queen made her second visit to the College to inspect the new north wing of London House and take tea in the Churchill Room.
Over the last five decades the College has welcomed the Queen for regular visits, often to celebrate key milestones in Goodenough’s rich and varied history, including the College’s 75th birthday in 2006. Her Majesty’s most recent visit was in December 2016 when she met Members and Fellows, and unveiled a plaque to mark the 60th anniversary of her opening of William Goodenough House.