The 2021 Virgin Money London Marathon
We are looking for 10 members of our community to take part in the virtual 2021 Virgin Money London Marathon, running (or walking!) to raise money for The Mecklenburgh Fund, which supports current Members in need. This is the first time we have ever invited our Alumni to run for us as part of the London Marathon, or any sporting event.
One of the great things about this year’s event is that participants can take part from anywhere in the world and complete the event in their own way – just as long as all 26.2 miles are completed on Sunday 3 October 2021
The virtual 2021 Virgin Money London Marathon aims to give participants the same sense of excitement and occasion that those who’ll be running through the streets of the capital will experience. To bring the virtual experience to life, participants can use the Official Virgin Money London Marathon App, powered by TCS, to track and log their 26.2 miles. The App’s special features aim to recreate the London Marathon atmosphere, with an exclusive audio commentary featuring famous voices providing a memorable soundtrack to the day.
All runners in the event will also be sent an official running number, which they can wear on Sunday 3 October, to ensure they get cheers of support from the communities they run through.
A chance to be creative
Participants are encouraged to be creative in how they complete the challenge – something that’s emphasised by the event strapline: Your Run, Your Way.
Ideas for personalising the virtual experience include:
- Being dropped 26.2 miles from home and running back to a hero’s welcome
- Completing each mile with a different running buddy, sharing the challenge with friends and family
- Getting together with a group of friends to walk the 26.2 miles together
- Creating a unique course that visits the homes of friends and family so they can set up outdoor drinks stations for a refuel and catch-up over an energy bar
Virtual London Marathon 2021: key points to note
- Entrants must be 18 or over on Sunday 3 October 2021
- All 26.2 miles must be completed on Sunday 3 October 2021
- Participants need to observe current in-country government guidance on social distancing while training and during the event
- The 2021 Virgin Money London Marathon App, powered by TCS, will require the participant to enable GPS to track their 26.2 miles
- Tracking information will be used to produce the individual certificate unique to the participant
- The virtual 2021 Virgin Money London Marathon is not held on closed roads
- Runners are responsible for their own nutrition and hydration during the virtual event
- All virtual event participants will be asked to upload proof of their time and official results will be published
- Participants in the virtual event may be eligible to apply for a Good for Age or Championship place in the 2022 London Marathon and for the London Classics medal – if they do so they will be asked to provide supplementary evidence. Further information will be published in the run-up to Marathon Day
Could you run for Goodenough College?
Taking part in the Marathon is a fantastic way to actively show your support for your “home from home”. If you are selected we will ask you to pay a £10 registration fee, to cover your entrance fee in part (some of this will also be covered by the College). We will also then ask you to fundraise a minimum of £250 to take part in the event.
The Mecklenburgh Fund – help us to support Members in need
Through our 10 runners we aim to raise a minimum of £2,500 for the Mecklenburgh Fund (this is the College’s emergency financial assistance fund to which Members can apply to receive financial support).
As you know, 2020 and 2021 have been especially challenging years for Members at the College. Many Members are unable to support themselves through additional part-time work; others are financially struggling as their savings have plummeted due to the global economic conditions; while others can no longer turn to family members for support due to job losses. As such, the number of applications to the Mecklenburgh Fund has significantly increased.
This bigger need has come at a time when the College is losing significant income from rent and the closure of the hotel and events businesses. We are now hoping to boost the Mecklenburgh Fund through philanthropic donations from our community so we can continue to offer additional, much-needed financial support to struggling Members.
Based on individual applicants to the Mecklenburgh Fund being awarded £250, you will personally support at least one Member and your collective funds will help at least 10 Members through difficult financial circumstances. You will make a huge difference!
What will you receive for taking part?
To say thank you for running for the College and to help you as you prepare, you will receive:
- A training pack providing hints and tips as you train for running the Marathon on 3 October 2021
- A fundraising pack filled with ideas to help you hit your target to raise a minimum £250
- Access to the London Marathon App
- The chance to connect with the other nine Goodenough College Virtual Marathon runners via a special event
We also hope to be able to follow your progress in the lead up to the event so that we can promote your amazing contribution (and help with your fundraising via our social media channels.
I’m interested in running! What next?
We are thrilled you are keen to run for Goodenough College! To register your interest, please fill in our short expression of interest form as soon as possible. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
We look forward to hearing from you!
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org